Off-Grid Solar Energy Matthews NC
Water & Energy Conservation Systems
8317 Sardiscroft Rd
13860 Ballantyne Corporate Pl Ste 140
Haas & Kennedy Engineers
212 N Mcdowell St
Appalachian State University
PO Box 9096
North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association
P.O. Box 6465
Black River Energy
10700 Sikes Pl Ste 345
1719 Kensington Drive
Solar Energy, Solar Panels, Photovoltaics, Solar Power, Interconnection
Alondra Energy Group Usa
1815 S Tryon St
NCSU Renewable Energy Society
NC Solar Now, a SolarTEK Energy of NC company
2031 Progress Court
Off Grid PV Systems
The following are elements of off grid, independent solar electricity systems. Anyone with an off grid system will need to know how their system works and the basic function of all elements of their solar electric system.
Off-grid systems can be installed by a professional installer. Many amateur electricians and independent power enthusiasts create and engineer their own solar energy systems.
Components you really need to understand:
- Solar panels collect sunlight and convert it into an electrical current. Solar panels are supported by solar mounts (or racks).
- Backup generator. These are required for emergencies and to cover your energy when you get weeks without sunshine. Some true greens will forego these, as they are noisy and polluting.
- An inverter is an important part of many energy systems. It converts direct current (DC) energy into more widely usable alternating current (AC) energy.
- Batteries store energy for later use. To learn more see our page on batteries.
- Wiring to the house's "normal electricity." By this, we mean the house's breaker panel and beyond that, what electricians call your "load."
- A system meter measures how full your battery is, how much electricity the panels are producing and how much electricity you are using.
- A main DC disconnect is found in any battery-based system, between the battery and the inverter. This is a large breaker to allow easy shut off, for battery se...
Click here to read more from The Solar Guide